The Government of Gujarat has initiated a planning process for the realisation of Diamond Research and Mercantile (DREAM) City at Surat. This Smart City is projected on a 681 hectare site in the southern part of Surat, adjacent to the village of Khajod, the Outer Ring Road and close to the Dumas airport.
The objectives of DREAM City are:
- To encourage and promote diamond and other mercantile activities related to trading
- To prepare business plan cum bankable project report
- To provide world class infrastructure
- To make citizen-friendly services and safety
- To prepare detailed sustainable Masterplan and regulations guidelines
- To prepare land disposal policy
- To prepare sector wise policy framework for project management
A Special Purpose Vehicle, Diamond Research and Mercantile (DREAM) City Limited has been formed for the implementation.